The beans and quinoa in this light and easy recipe are packed with plant protein. Use pre-cooked quinoa if you want to save time!
Makes 4 large stuffed peppers
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder – hot or medium, depending on how you like it
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan or sea salt
- 400g Jar of no added sugar, low salt tomato sauce or can of chopped tomatoes
- 75g cooked quinoa
- 4 large red peppers
- 400g can of aduki beans or black beans
- 3 tablespoons of water
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the packet. Whilst it is cooking saute the onions in olive oil over a medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes until the mushrooms release their moisture.
- Stir in the chilli powder and salt. Add the quinoa and half of the tomato sauce and the water. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the peppers by cutting off the tops and removing the seeds. Do not throw the tops away!
- Optional step – you can boil the peppers for 5 minutes if you prefer but I like them crunchy!
- Combine the beans with the cooked quinoa mixture. Stuff each pepper with filling, stand them upright in a baking dish and place the tops back on.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the stuffed peppers and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with green vegetables or salad.